Who can do this?
Any group member with Owner privileges can clone a group. Admins can clone any group they have access to.
Cloning a group consists of three basic steps:
- Select to clone a group.
- Give the new group a Name and a Description (you can edit these details later if necessary)
- Invite other users
A user who clones a group is automatically the new group's owner and is the only member. As the owner, you have full rights and privileges for the group, including giving or revoking other users' group rights, adding or removing media from the group, and deleting the group if it is no longer needed. You can also add other users as owners if you want to provide these privileges to others. You cannot, however, revoke other owners' rights.
To clone a group
- If necessary, click Groups from the Main Menu bar.
- Find and enter the group you want to copy/clone. YOU MUST be an Owner in the group to make a clone.
- Click the Actions button and select Clone Group, as shown in the below figure.
- Click OK on the confirmation message that appears.
The group is created and opens on the Edit Details page, with the new group having the same name as the original except appended with "clone" as shown in the below figure.
- Edit the Group Title (up to 200 characters) and add a Description (up to 2500 characters) identifying the purpose or focus of the group.
- If you are not ready to add members or content to the group yet, click Save at the top of the screen. You can add other members later.
- If you ARE ready to add members to your group, scroll down to the Sharing & Members part of the page, as shown below.
- Use the checkboxes to select one or more group privileges for the people you are adding. The different permissions apply to group media control (except for Owner) and are defined as follows:
Alternately you can add all new members with View Only privileges, which is enabled by default, then change the rights for each user after they have been added to the members list.
- View Only - User can view the content added to the group, as well as see who the other group members are.
- Add & Upload - In addition to viewing content and group members, user can add media to the group, both from their Echo360 content library, or upload from a computer or other device.
- Copy - User can make their own copy of the media from the group. The Copy appears in the user's Echo360 Library.
- Download - User can download media files from the group to their local computer.
- Remove - User can remove content from the group.
- Share - User can share group media to other users, to other groups, to a course, or create a URL link to the media to share outside of Echo360.
- Owner - As described on the page, Group Owners have full rights and privileges over the group, including adding/removing content and members, and editing, sharing, or deleting the group.
- In the Share with field, begin typing the name or email address of a person you want to add to the group.
- Select the user from the search results that appear below the Share with box as you type.
The user is added to the group as soon as you select them, with the enabled Share Settings privileges.
- Repeat this step for each user you want to add to the group. Each user appears in the Individuals list as they are added. The below figure identifies the new member added in the figure above.
- To change the privileges given to each member, uncheck and check the appropriate boxes next to their name.
- Click the X button on the far right side to remove any user you may have added inadvertently.
- Scroll up to the top of the page, and click Save.
The buttons at the top of the page change after you click save, providing you, the owner, access to all of the functionality needed to manage this group. See Groups - Overview for further instructions if needed.