Only institution-level Administrators have access to this feature toggle.
Echo360 has partnered with several transcription service companies to provide an automatic speech recognition (ASR) service. The ASR service provides machine-generated automatic transcriptions for video/audio media. Once transcribed, the media can be played back with the transcription panel open, allowing users to both read and hear the text of the speech in the media.
Currently there are two triggers for automatic media transcription:
- When the item is added to or edited in Echo360 (this article)
- When the item is published to an Echo360 course
In Echo360, whenever media is added to the system, it is sent through the media processor. If the ASR All New Media feature is turned on, the MP3 file that comes OUT of the media processor is sent through the ASR Service provider and receives machine-generated transcripts. This process is important to know because it means that if this feature is enabled, all of the following file generation methods will trigger a request for automated transcripts:
- Media upload (by any user)
- New capture (by any method, including both appliance captures or Universal Capture recordings)
- Media Edit and Save
- Media Edit and Save As
Regarding the last two bullets - editing and saving the media - the assumption is that any edit to the video/audio file will likely change the audio (.mp3) for the file. This means that even if the media being edited already HAS an automated transcript, the change in the .mp3 file generates a new request because it is generating a new mp3 file. The new file is the one sent to be transcribed.
In addition to the above listed methods, reprocessing media can send a request for automated transcripts, because processing generates an .mp3 file. IF, however, the media already HAS an automated transcript, and the media has not changed (the audio file is identical), reprocessing will NOT trigger a new transcript request.
Administrators can request transcripts for individual media if necessary.
Providing transcriptions for all new media allows you to more easily apply closed captions to video/audio media by reviewing and editing the transcript then applying it as closed captions. In this case, you know that all media in the system has transcripts to work with.
To request automatic transcriptions for ALL new/reprocessed media
- Log into Echo360 as an Institution-level administrator.
- Click the Settings icon and select Institution Settings.
- Select Features from the options in the right panel, as shown in the below figure.
- If necessary, scroll down to the Transcripts and Captions area of the page.
- Click the toggle to turn the ASR All New Media feature on or off. It is OFF by default. Review the warning message that appears.
NOTE: There is no override for the ASR All New Media feature toggle. It is either enabled or disabled for all media generated or edited by all users in the Institution.
See Automatic Transcriptioning Service or ASR for additional details surrounding the automatic transcription service. See Using the Echo360 Transcript Editor for more information and documentation to provide users for editing transcripts.