Some institutions may institute a manual transcription process, while some may use automated transcriptions. Even if you are using the automated transcription service, you may find the need to edit the automatic transcriptions, where the text is not accurate or the speaker's words could not be heard or understood by the automation. In this case you can download the transcription, edit it, then re-upload (instructions below). If the capture already has a transcription file associated with it, uploading a new file replaces the existing transcription with the new file's contents.
Adding new or uploading edited transcriptions can be done by Admins for all captures, and by Instructors who are owners of the media. Co-instructors can also add or manage transcriptions on a capture IF the co-instructor edits toggle is turned on for any section where the capture is published.
Transcription files can only be in WebVTT format (*.vtt).
Echo360's transcription service is coded to the WebVTT spec as defined by the W3C: https://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/. As long as your VTT file meets the specification, Echo360 will accept it.
To add a transcription file to a capture
- From the Completed captures list on the CAPTURES page, find the capture you want.
- Click on the capture row to open the media details page shown below.
- In the Details tab (shown by default) click on the Transcripts entry to open the drop-down menu shown in the figure below.
- Click either Add or Update > Upload, depending on whether the capture already has a transcription file applied.
- In the Filepicker window that appears, navigate to and select the transcription (VTT) file to apply to this capture.
Only .VTT file types are accepted.
Once the file is uploaded, it is applied to and synced with the capture video. This processing should take a very brief period of time.
NOTE that if a user edits the video, the transcription file may need to be re-done and re-uploaded for application to the edited video. If ASR is turned ON, and the edited file is re-published, the edited video will be re-sent for automated transcriptions. Meaning you may need to re-edit the updated automatic transcription.