Administrators have access to all video media in the system, both lecture captures and uploads from users. These are listed in the Captures page of the Administrator interface.
Clicking on capture row from the Captures page list opens the Media Details page (also called the Content Details page - the terms are used interchangeably). As the name would imply, this page provides details about the media and media functionality. It also provides access to all features available for the media, from publishing and sharing, to closed captions and transcriptions, changing ownership, and making media edits, making a copy, downloading, or deleting.
The top section of the Media Details page has a playback or preview panel at the top. This allows you to play the video or audio. The area immediately below the playback panel contains the title of the media and a set of commands. These are described in the section below.
The Commands shown for the media in the details page are described below. As an Administrator you will have access to all of the commands except Add A Poll or Edit Poll. These are used to create and edit interactive media, and Administrators cannot access interactive media in the system.
- Share - Opens the Share Settings dialog box, allowing you to share the media with another Echo360 user, create a public link, or publish to a class.
These are the same sharing actions that can also be done using the options located in the Share Settings sections of the Info tab, described in the section below.
- Edit Media - Opens the video or presentation editor as appropriate to the type of media this is. See Editing a Video.
- Edit Transcript - Opens the Transcript Editor, where you can edit the transcript text, the speaker identifications, and apply the transcript as closed captions if needed. See the articles located in Using the Echo360 Transcript Editor.
- Add A Poll or Edit Polls - Opens the Interactive Media editor, where you can embed a poll into a video or edit the polls already resident in the interactive media. Add Poll appears for a video; Edit Polls appears for interactive media (a video with polls already embedded in it). These commands are disabled for Administrators.
- Edit Details - Opens the Edit Details dialog box where you can enter/edit a Title, Description, and Tags for the media. See also Editing Media Name and Description.
- Make A Copy - Creates a copy of the media that you now own. The copy also appears in the Captures page (as does all video media), with you as the owner.
- Download - Allows you to download a copy of the media to your local drive. You are asked to make selections regarding video, quality, or download only audio of the file. You can also use the links to the processed and source files located in the Details tab of the media details page, described later on this page.
- Delete/Remove - Deletes the media entirely. This cannot be undone.
Deleting it removes it from any classes, groups, other user's libraries, and any other linked or embedded locations. This can ONLY be done by an Administrator or by the owner of the media.
Below the row of commands you will see one or more tabs for this media, each containing different information or actions for the media. These are identified in the below figure and discussed in the sections that follow on this page.
The Info Tab - Media Information
The Info tab for the media is shown by default when you open the Media Details page. It provides the Title of the media, the owner, and when the media was created.
If you hover over the created time frame (i.e. "created 5 months ago") a pop up appears showing you the date/time the media was created in Echo360.
The above figure shows the tabs available for video or audio media. Which other tabs appear depends on what kind of media this is. The possibilities include Info, Analytics, Details, and Activity tabs.
The Info Tab - Share Settings
The main section of the Info tab contains all of the Share settings available, along with all of the shares that have already occurred (to classes, to individuals, to groups, and links that have been created for a video if it applies).
The figure below is the media details page for media John Dowling owns. This media has been published to two different classes, and has been shared with one other user.
The Share Settings for Classes and Individuals contain the following information and options:
Share to Classes - The Classes section shows the class name, course, and section where this item has already been published. See also Publishing and Removing Media for a Course.
- Click Add To A Class to add the media to a course.
- Click the X to the right of a listed class/course/section to remove this item from that course/section/class.
Share to Individuals - The Individuals section lists all the Echo360 users to whom this media has been shared. See also Sharing and Unsharing Media with other Echo360 Users.
- Click into the Share with drop-down box and begin typing a user's name or email address, then select the user from the matching options that appear.
- Click the X to the right of a user to un-share this media with that user.
The Share Settings for Links and Groups, shown in the below figure, contains the following information and options:
Share a Link/URL - The Links section lists all links that have already been generated for this media and allows you to control and configure them as needed. See also Generating a Web Link and Embed Code for a Video.
- Click Add Link to create a link to this media
- Toggle the Share slider on or off to Activate or Deactivate an existing link.
- Click Delete for a link to delete an existing link.
Share to Group - The Groups section shows all of the groups to which this media has been added. As an administrator, you can also add this media to any group in the system, or remove it from a group as needed. If you are a delegated admin, you can add any media you have access to, into any group where you are a member.
The Details tab contains information about how the media was generated, links to download media files, and access to manage Captions or Transcripts for the media. There may also be media IDs and other information that can be copied and sent to Echo360 Support to troubleshoot issues with the media if you have any.
The Captions entry in the Details tab identifies whether this video has a closed captioning file applied to it, and allows you to Upload, Send for Processing or Delete a closed captioning file as needed.
The Transcripts entry in the Details tab identifies whether this video has been transcribed and allows you to Add or Update transcriptions as needed. See also Accessing the Transcript Editor (Admin) and Managing Transcriptions of Captures.
The Analytics Tab
The Analytics tab only appears for video, audio, or interactive media. It provides viewing data for this piece of media, indicating how many users have viewed the media, how long they viewed it, and where the views came from. Below is an overview of the data provided here.
For more information see Analytics on the Media Details page for details.
Analytics - Overview
The top section of the Analytics tab gives overview information regarding anonymous and identified views for the past 12 months.
Analytics - View by Date Chart
Below the Overview is a bar chart that identifies WHEN views actually occurred for the time range selected. The Past 30 days is shown by default, but you can select a different range from the Time Range drop-down list identified in the below figure.
There is also a Media Location drop-down list, identified in the below figure, that allows you to limit the data shown in the bar chart the tables below it to views that came from a particular location or type of location. This includes options such as All Courses, or Not Course Related.
These drop-down lists work together to filter the data shown not only in the chart, but also in the View by Location tables and Users view data described in the sections that follow.
Notice there is a Download Data button next to the drop-down lists. This button generates and downloads a CSV file containing the view data shown in the view-by-location tables. This download, like the data shown on the page, is subject to any filtering applied via BOTH drop-down lists. Meaning the data in the file will match what is shown on the page. If there is no data for the time-range and/or media location selected, this button is grayed out.
No data showing up? Remember that that the Media Location and Time Range drop-down lists filter the data shown in all of the sections below them. If you change the Time Range to "Past 7 days" and/or have select a Media Location where no views occurred in that time frame, the bar chart will be empty AND there will be no tables below the chart. In addition the Download Data button will be disabled.
Analytics - View by Location Tables
The tables below the bar chart, shown in the above figure, provide viewing details for each location where the media was viewed from. This includes any Echo360 course where the item may be published, any LMS Course where this media may be embedded for viewing.
Not Course Related views are a more generalized category and includes views from a public link to the media, views from a Group where the media has been shared, as well as views through the media details page by other users.
Analytics - User View Data
Below the View by Location tables is a list of all users who have viewed this media.
The User views list, like the View by Date chart and View by Location tables are subject to the Time Range and Media Location drop-down list selections. This means you can filter the list to see what users viewed the media in a certain time frame, or what users viewed the media from a certain published location, or both.
The Users list can be sorted by each of the columns as needed. Click the heading of a column to sort the list by that field. First click sorts ascending, second click sorts descending. The arrow icon shown indicates the direction of sort or no sort (if both arrows appear). The above figure shows the Users list sorted by User (last name) in ascending (a-z) order. This is the initial default view.