Capture ownership is established in several ways:
- The instructor selected for a scheduled capture is identified as the owner. Those captures appear in the instructor's library.
- The instructor who initiates an ad hoc capture from the Echo360 UI is identified as the owner of the generated capture.
- A user uploads a video to their library.
- An instructor uploads a video directly to a class in their section (it also appears in their content library).
- A user creates a copy of media, either from a section class list or from the Shared with me page of their content library.
- A user edits a video and selects to Save As, to create a copy with those edits.
In the above situations, an instructor or student is the owner. In some cases, the Administrator is the capture owner, and in other cases, the capture may have no owner. If a user is made inactive in the institution, the captures they owned are still owned by them but only the administrator has control or visibility of them (outside of any existing sections where the content may be published). If a user is deleted, the content they own in the system remains but has None as the owner.
For situations like these where the owner of a capture needs to change or an owner needs to be assigned, the Administrator can edit the owner via the Media Details page.
Limitations of changing ownership:
- Only Active or Invited users can be made owners (user must not be Inactive).
- Only Instructors, Teaching Assistants, or Students can be selected to be made owners (or any user who has at least one of those roles). Admins can be owners if they also have another role in the system OR generate a copy of a video; the copy is owned by the person who made the copy.
- This capability only applies to video media; presentation slide decks are not visible to Admins.
To change the content owner (videos and captures only)
- Log in as an Administrator.
- On the CAPTURES page, filter or search for the capture(s) whose ownership you want to change.
- Click on the capture row to open the media details page, shown above.
- Click the Details tab at the bottom.
The Owner is shown at the top of the Details tab, as identified above. If there is no owner, this field reads None.
- Click the edit (pencil) icon to the right of the owner.
- In the Edit owner dialog box that appears, click on the drop-down list and begin typing the name or email address of the target user. Or type "None" if you want to remove ownership without re-assigning.
The selection list is filtered as you type.
- Select the user when they appear in the list.
- After the new owner's name appears in the box (or "None" if removing ownership is appropriate) if click Done.
NOTE: Inactive users will NOT appear in the list; Students will also not appear in the list if the Student Library is turned OFF.
The new owner will see the content in their Library and can edit it, share it, and publish it to any courses where they are instructors or teaching assistants.