As an administrator, you have a large degree of control over all of the captures in your system. All capture-related tasks, including reviewing capture playback, are performed through the CAPTURES page. These include:
- Viewing Media Details
- Viewing Capture Processing Information
- Editing, Reprocessing, and Deleting Captures
- Request Transcripts for Individual Captures
- Creating and Scheduling Captures
- Editing Capture Schedules
- Deleting Capture Schedules
- Uploading Captures
- Publishing and Sharing Captures
- Generating and configuring public or embeddable links to captures
The initial view of the Captures page shows ONLY those captures for Today, for each of the statuses shown across the top of the page. The Complete captures tab appears by default.
Click Clear for the Date filter to show ALL captures instead of just Today's captures. This is shown in the image below.
Navigating the captures page
The page can be filtered by status, using the selections in the status bar across the top of the captures list. The status bar also shows the number of captures in that particular state.
Using the panel on the left, the page can be filtered by date, source, instructor, or other criteria as needed. Click the category to expand it and select the criteria you need. Remember that the Captures page is filtered to show only Today's captures by default. Click Clear, as shown in the above figure, to remove this filter.
The Source category and filter options includes Zoom Meetings. This source categorization applies to Zoom Meetings that are ingested through a Zoom integration with Echo360. Be advised however that the categorization begins with Zoom ingested recordings that occur after the June 30/July 1 2020 release of Echo360. The category is not back-applied to Zoom meetings ingested before then. Previous recordings are still listed as "Upload" in the Captures list.
Enter text into the Search box to search for captures by name, capture room or building, section, or data tag.
The below figure shows the Completed captures list, with Today's date filter cleared, and the Status bar and the Search/Filter panel identified for use. The Date and Source filters have been expanded.
The list can be sorted by clicking a column header. The current sort column appears with a small triangle to the right of the column name. If the triangle is pointing down, the sort is Descending; pointing up indicates Ascending. By default, the list is sorted by the time the capture was generated, with the newest captures shown first.
Completed Captures Menu Options
Hovering over a capture in the list exposes a chevron icon to the right of the Capture thumbnail. Clicking this chevron opens a menu of options and actions available to you as an Administrator. The figure below shows this menu.
The options there perform a variety of actions, listed below and detailed in the linked help articles:
- View - Opens the Media Details page providing playback as well as all management functionality available to you for this piece of media.
- Publish - Opens the publishing dialog box, allowing you to publish this media to a course or to share the media with an individual.
- Edit Details - Opens the media info dialog box allowing you to edit the title, description, or tags on this piece of media.
- Edit Video - Opens the video editor and allows you to trim, cut sections, then save the changes (or save as to create a new piece of media.
- Edit Transcript - Opens the Transcript Editor and allows you to edit the text of and the speakers assigned to each cue, to export or upload a transcript (WebVTT file), and apply the transcript as Closed Captions to the media.
- Create Copy - Creates a COPY of this piece of media that you are now the owner of. The title is retained but appended with "(copy)". It is an entirely new and separate piece of media and is not tied to the original in any way.
- Reprocess - Sends the capture back through media processing, to have updated watermarks or branding applied, or in some cases to have transcripts applied.
- Request Transcript - Sends this piece of media to the ASR service for automatic transcription through Amazon. NOTE that if the media already has an automated transcript (and has not been edited) it will not receive a new one.
- Delete - Deletes this piece of media from Echo360. There is no recovery and this cannot be undone.
To the right of any given capture entry you should see a thumbnail graphic. For completed video captures, this is typically a still frame from the capture itself.
The figure below identifies these thumbnails and includes a Video capture thumbnail, a desktop Display capture thumbnail, and an Audio-Only capture icon.
For Audio-Only captures, the thumbnail shows a speaker icon to indicate it is only sound and has no visual component.
If there was a problem with the Primary visual input, you may see a blue triangle with an exclamation point on a black background. This indicates that the input selected was either not connected during or at least not during the beginning of the recording, or that the input selected for the capture does not correspond with the inputs actually configured for the appliance. In either case, the recording device or display unit did not send any signal for that channel.
If you see an Echo360 play icon, this simply means that the thumbnail cannot be displayed at this time. This is the case for captures in any state except Completed. If shown for a completed capture, it typically does not indicate a problem with the capture, only with displaying a thumbnail. Click to view the capture if you want to check for certain.
View Capture Playback and Details
Click on a capture row in the list to view any completed capture in the Media Details page (also called the Capture Details page).
The media details page includes a playback panel at the top, and media information, analytics, sharing/publishing options, and media control features below the playback panel. See The Media Details Page (Admins) for more information.
Minimally as an Admin, you will want to be able to ensure that capture playback is working properly.
To review a capture
- From the Captures page, find and click on the capture you want to view.
The media details page opens, as shown in the below figure, including playback controls and other options.
- Click play to play the capture, using the volume control, speed control, and playback bar to control those aspects of the capture playback.
- Use the tool links below the playback panel to perform other functions on the capture, such as editing, making a copy, download, and delete.
- Use the Info, Analytics, Details, and Activity tabs in the middle section of the page, shown below, for sharing, publishing, adding captions or transcriptions, and viewing capture and processing information.
- Use the Share Settings area below the playback panel for seeing where this media is currently published, or for adding it to a course/section/class. You can also share it with another Echo360 user, to a content Group, or generate a public URL to the media as needed, On the right, use the media links available for processed and source files (if still available) to download the file(s) if necessary.