The Universal Capture UI is available for Pro and Pod appliances only, allowing users to access UC both via the UC: Device interface and the UC: Online interface. This provides a consistent user experience across capture platforms; it works and looks the same no matter where or how users are creating content.
The only way for instructors to access UC on an appliance to perform ad hoc captures is via a room-specific URL that must be provided by an administrator. See Universal Capture for Admins for more information.
What to expect with Universal Capture on Pro & Pod devices
Universal Capture is accessible on Pro and Pod devices. Administrators are able to monitor and control devices from the Rooms tab. The Room is available from both the Instructor ad hoc capture button (if enabled) and via the Universal Capture-specific ad hoc button for Instructors (if enabled).
The same Universal Capture recording features that you are familiar with are also applicable to Appliances. When configuring the Room administrators can add a label to any selected input. This allows administrators to add meaningful names to inputs which users will then see as the input names when scheduling and creating ad hoc captures.
- A singular consistent experience for users leading to easier maintenance and less training and support
- Near real-time availability of captures after a recording is completed
- An enhanced monitoring experience that does not require Adobe Flash Player
- Increased reliability due to the upgraded and better performing capture engine
- Greater support for accessibility with Universal Capture
- A "View Room" button on each Room card for Administrators to access UC: Online
Dependent on Cloud access feature toggle
- The "Log in to Device" button on a Room card for Administrators can now take you to both the legacy device Web UI and Universal Capture: Device
- Addition of the Label fields to the Room Configuration
NOTE that the Universal Capture: Device interface is only accessible if single sign-on (SSO) for devices has been enabled for your Institution and is configured on the device. Contact Echo360 support for more information on Device SSO.
Any configured input for a channel is only available on its respective side within the UC UI
- Channel 1 = Left preview pane/input selection
- Channel 2 = Right preview pane/input selection
- Log in as an administrator.
- From the main menu, click ROOMS.
- Find the room containing either a Pro or a Pod that you want to label. Use the filtering lists at the top of the screen to narrow which rooms are shown.
- On the room tile, click the chevron in the top right corner, and select Configure.
Example Room configuration for a Pro
- Enter a name of your choosing in the Label field (Limit of 15 characters).
- Click SAVE.
NOTE that the only option in the Universal Capture UI for audio source selection is "Audio". This is the default selection; it is required and based on the inputs configured in the room. For example, if audio is only configured for the audio input, the "Audio" selection will capture just that input, but if audio is configured for both the audio input and on Channel 1 and/or Channel 2, the "Audio" selection will mux all the configured audio sources together.