Some institutions are fine with allowing students and teaching assistants (TAs) to download content while a section is occurring but do not want to allow users to be able to download content from classes after the term has expired. In addition, university policy may mandate that this content is automatically made unavailable after the term ends.
Disabling out of term content downloads disables the download option for class-published content any time outside of the term start or end dates for students and TAs.
By default, students and TAs can download section content at any time (unless class content downloads are disabled entirely), but out of term downloads can be disabled at the Institution, Organization, or Department level by an Administrator.
Once disabled, content in the classes can still be viewed but students and TAs cannot download it.
To disable out of term downloads of class-published content across the institution
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- Using the list in the left panel, navigate to the organization or department you want to set the default for or remain at the Institution level.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Under Features, disable the Out of term content downloads toggle switch (it is enabled by default).
- Click Yes on the confirmation message that appears.
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
The Download option will automatically be removed from the content menu in the class list after the end of the term. Note that users can still download content they own from either the class list or their Library page.