End of Support for SafeCapture HD April 1st, 2020: End of Software Support. Echo360 will no longer provide software updates for the SCHD appliance. This policy applies to enhancements, bug fixes, and security patches. Echo360 will continue to test SCHD appliances with improving versions of the Echo360 cloud platform until the End of Life date. In addition, the Echo360 Support Team will continue to assist customers with configuring and managing SCHD appliances until the End of Life date.
December 30th, 2020: End of Life. Echo360 will no longer ensure the functionality of the SCHD appliance in any way. Echo360 will no longer test the SCHD on new cloud service releases and the Echo360 Support Team will no longer continue to diagnose or solve issues impacting SCHD units still in the field at that time.
This page describes how to install the legacy Echo360 SafeCapture HD (SCHD) into the location where it will perform captures.
After placing and connecting the legacy SCHD, the next step will be to configure the device to communicate with the Echo360 active learning platform.
Order of steps: You MAY want to review the information in Configuring Capture Devices, and download a device file to the USB Drive included with the legacy SCHD before placing the device in the room. If you already have a configured device file on a thumb drive, you can use that for all legacy SCHD devices if appropriate.
IMPORTANT! Consider location carefully: The maximum allowable operating temperature of the SafeCapture HD device is 50°C/122°F. Be sure to install the device in a location where the unit is well ventilated, and the temperature around the unit does not exceed this limit. If operated in an environment where temperatures exceed this limit, the unit may overheat and malfunction permanently.
What's in the box
Unpack the legacy SCHD and confirm you have all of the items listed below. There should be five separate pieces, including two mounting brackets.
|Two mounting brackets|
Installing and Connecting the legacy SCHD
When considering where to place the legacy SCHD device, be advised of the following recommendations/requirements:
- Review the safety standards that apply to installation location. Observe these standards to ensure proper device functionality and avoid possible injuries.
- Ground the appliance properly.
- Note the device's MAC address. It is located on the back of the legacy SCHD.
- Note also the room into which you are installing the device. You will use the MAC address to assign the device to the Room.
The legacy SCHD cannot record HDCP-restricted content: Be sure to install your capture appliances in a room that does not include devices protected by HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). Echo360 capture appliances cannot record high-definition content protected by HDCP.
If instructors are in the habit of bringing their own devices and plugging them into a console for display recording, note that newer Mac computers have HDCP enabled. In some cases, instructors will attempt to play HD content that is restricted by HDCP on the Mac, causing the display feed to be blank, to appear as disconnected, or to record/return very low quality resolution. In this case, users can play the content in Standard Definition or attempt another workaround.
To install/connect the legacy SCHD
- Connect the power cord to the legacy SCHD and to a wall outlet (preferred).
- Connect the legacy SafeCapture HD to the network.
- Connect the display devices (laptop, PC, document camera, etc.) to the channel labeled Primary Display/Secondary Video.
- Use DVI-I (Dual Link) Digital-Analog cable.
- If you do not have this type of cable, use a VGA to DVI-I adapter that has both a 4-pin analog link and a dual digital link. The adapter illustrated below is the correct adapter. DVI adapter.
- If you are using RCA connectors, insert them. If you are using the audio bare wire block, see Configuring Balanced Audio Input for Capture Appliances.
- Connect the video device to the channel labeled Primary Video/Secondary Display.
- Turn on the legacy SafeCapture HD.
- Continue with configuration of the legacy SafeCapture HD.