In an attempt to streamline the documentation surrounding the capture schedule interface, the procedural information and the technical details have been separated. If you are not already aware of them, PLEASE review Details Around Scheduling Captures before executing the procedures below.
Administrators can generate new captures using the capture appliances in the institution and using the Universal Capture installations available. One-off ad hoc captures can be launched directly from the appliance or room. More often, however, Administrators use the capture dialog box to launch recurring or non-recurring scheduled captures.
They are called "scheduled captures" because you must select a date/time for recording (even if it's only a few minutes from now), rather than configuring the information and launching immediately as you do with ad hoc captures. Before you begin you should also refer to the section at the bottom of this page regarding how and when term exclusion dates are enforced for scheduled captures.
Opening the capture dialog box
The capture dialog box, also called the scheduled capture dialog box is the one that appears when an Administrator selects New Capture from the Captures page as shown below.
It is the same as the one that appears when selecting to schedule a capture for a particular section, using the Schedule icon from the Courses page as shown below. The Courses page method is the only one available for Schedulers to generate a capture or capture schedule.
Then from the section schedule page...select New Capture.
The capture dialog box that appears is identical in both methods. The only difference is that if launched from the section schedule page, the Title (section name), Instructor (primary instructor if there is one), and Publishing areas are pre-populated with the section information. This is shown in the below figure.
Note that the pre-populated fields can be edited if needed. It is there for convenience.
The fields to complete are otherwise identical and are covered in the below procedural steps.
Creating a scheduled capture
To create a scheduled capture
- Use one of the above cited methods to open the capture dialog box.
- Enter a Title for the capture (required).
The title becomes the name for the capture(s) generated, AND is the name for the classes auto-created to hold the capture if publishing to a section. This may already be populated with the section name but you may change it.
- Select an Instructor for the capture. The instructor is typically the person running the class to be recorded. This is optional; if no instructor is selected, the Owner field will read "None".
The instructor selected becomes the owner of the capture; the completed capture(s) will appear in the this user's Library. If there is no owner, only Administrators/Schedulers can access the capture outside of a section until it is shared with another user or an owner is assigned.
- If appropriate, enter the name or email address of a Guest Instructor.
This is a text field designed to simply identify a guest lecturer for the capture schedule if appropriate. It is for informational purposes only.
- Use the drop-down lists to select a Campus, Building, and Room where the capture will occur.
Selecting a room also selects the device that will be used to generate the capture.
- Select the Inputs to use for this/these captures. Your options are determined by the device's configuration.
- Select the output Quality for the captures. Your options include Standard, High, and Highest.
If you have not yet, PLEASE review Details Around Scheduling Captures for information about what each of these settings means, and the best circumstances for each selection.
- Select whether to enable Closed Captioning for this capture. This option is only available if you have closed captioning configured for the system.
- Select whether these captures will be available via Live Stream. This simply means that students can watch the class in real time from a remote location.
This toggle is NOT available until a section is selected for publishing. If you have not yet, PLEASE review Details Around Scheduling Captures for additional information about Live streaming.
- Enter the Start Date for the capture. Today's date/Noon appears by default.
See also the section at the bottom of this page regarding how and when exclusion dates are enforced on capture schedules.
- For non-recurring captures, this is the date on which the capture will occur.
- For recurring captures (a capture schedule), this is the first date on which the capture will occur.
- Enter the Time Range for the capture.
- Select whether the capture repeats or not. Your options are:
- None (one-time event)
- Weekly (creates a recurring event on one or more days a week).
- If you select a Repeats option, the dialog box expands to show additional required options:
- Identify the weekly frequency of the capture; enter 1 for every week, enter 2 for every other week, etc.
- Identify an End date for the capture (the last date on which the capture will occur).
- Use the sliders to identify on which days each week the capture is to occur.
Be sure to change the end date for recurring captures. The End Date defaults to today's date; if you do not change it, you will not have a recurring capture.
- Use the Course, Term, and Section drop-down lists to identify the location to which the completed captures are to be published. Selecting a publishing location is optional.
If you have not yet, PLEASE review Details Around Scheduling Captures for additional information regarding the generation of captures with and without section association.
- Use the Availability settings for the selected Section to configure date-based availability for the completed captures. Or accept the defaults.
For example, you can make the capture immediately available, but then make it Unavailable after a set number of days.
By default, all published captures are available "Immediately" and are "Never" unavailable. Availability is for student viewing; instructors can always see published captures.
Availability settings are only active if you have a section selected. Logically captures that are not published to a section are not available to students and therefore do not need availability/unavailability set for them.
IN ADDITION, the capture availability/unavailability is based on the start time of the capture. For example, a capture set for 10-11am with a delayed availability of 3 days, becomes available at 10am, three days after it is recorded. A capture available immediately, but set to be unavailable after 5 days, will be made unavailable at 10am, five days after it is recorded.
- To publish the SAME recording to more than one section, click ADD SECTION and repeat the process. You can publish to as many as ten different sections.
- If you add an additional section, set the availability for completed captures for subsequent sections as described above (or accept the defaults).
- To remove a section, click the X located to the right of the section.
- When finished, review ALL of the information in the dialog box. If correct, click SAVE.
The figure below shows a completed capture dialog box where the resulting captures will have the following attibutes
- The captures generated will be published to two different sections.
- Both of those sections will have classes automatically created to hold the completed captures.
- The date and time for the classes will be the same in both sections, and the capture to be published will also be the same in both sections (one capture published to two different locations).
- The captures will be available immediately for students but will become unavailable after 14 days, for both sections (availability can be set differently per section if needed).
If publishing a single set of captures to multiple sections, keep in mind that if a user chooses to Edit the capture, the changes will apply to all published versions.
How exclusion dates are enforced
For a recurring capture schedule being published to a section, the exclusion dates configured for the term of the section listed in the Publish list are the exclusions enforced for the schedule. Meaning, no captures are generated on those dates.
- If there are no sections selected, there are no exclusion dates to apply. All capture dates within the start/end date given are respected and captured.
- If the schedule is NOT recurring, the capture will happen on the date specified, even if the date falls on a term exclusion date, and even if it is published to a section in that term. Echo360 assumes the date given was intentional.
- If you publish to multiple sections that reside in different terms, the term dates for each section's term is enforced with respect to exclusion dates and term start/end date limitations.