This along with other legacy CSV imports have been replaced with the CSV Import/Export features available on the Imports/Exports tab of Echo360. The legacy imports are slated for removal from Echo360 in the near future. Please begin migrating your import workflow to use the new functionality.
See Using Imports/Exports and CSV Files for more information and links to associated topics.
Bulk import allows you to add multiple users at once, and, if desired, to associate those users to multiple courses and sections using a properly formatted CSV file.
ADDITIONALLY, the user import can also be used to enroll existing users to existing sections.
The User CSV import can perform three different actions:
- Add new users to the system, assigning them the appropriate role(s). New users added to the system receive an email notification, requesting them to complete their system registration.
- Add new users to the system while also assigning them to one or more sections.
- Enroll existing users into sections, with the appropriate role. Users receive an email notification inviting them to the course.
NOTE that a user can only be assigned to a section with a single role (either student or instructor). If your import assigns the same user to the same section with a different role, you will get an error for that row.
Be advised before you begin that the term, course code, and section code information must exist in Echo360 before enrolling users via import.
BEST PRACTICE: Perform an export of the sample users.csv file first (see procedure below), to use as a template for your import. Replace the sample data but leave the header row. Then import a few users at a time (with course and section assignments if desired), reviewing your imported data for accuracy. This will help ensure success of a larger import.
An example CSV for importing users would look as follows:
Importing users requires creating a CSV file that includes the following fields (in this order):
|Role||The role the user has in the system. Valid values include Admin, Instructor, or Student.
|Last name||Last name of the user.
|First name||First name of the user.
|Email Address||Email address for the user.
NOTE: If the email address is not present in the system, a new user will be created. If the user already exists, they are assigned to the section provided, with the role identified for this row.
|Course Code||Identifier of the course to which the section belongs. The course MUST already exist.
Optional for creating new users.
Required to enroll users to a section.
|Section Code||Identifier for the section to which you are enrolling this student. The section MUST already exist.
Required if Course Code is present.
|Term||The term during which the associated courses and sections are being offered. The term must already exist; it cannot be created via import.
Required if Course Code is present.
To import users from a CSV file
- From the main menu, select USERS.
- From the User Management screen, select Import Users.
- Click SELECT FILE.
NOTE: Click the Download a sample CSV file link to obtain a properly formatted CSV file to use as a template.
- In the Filepicker window, use the left panel to identify the location of the file, then follow the prompts. If the file is saved locally, click Choose File from the bottom of the window, and navigate to the .csv file to import.
- Review the progress screen and note any entries that may have an error.
- Click DONE when the import is complete.
Check the Users page for the accuracy of the import, and expand each user as necessary to show any course or sections that were associated with the user via the import.
New users will receive a notification to access the system and complete their registration. These users will appear with a status of "Invited" until their registration is complete. Existing users will receive a notification of their addition to a course.