Since both Update and Delete imports, as well as some Create imports require system IDs for objects included on the import, the first thing you will have to do is generate an export of the same type of object you want to change/delete.
The CSV export is the "read" or R part of CRUD (retrieve) and is effectively a bulk call for a list of objects in the system, to include relevant IDs and other information.
The Exports generation now has a Version drop-down box, allowing you to select Version 1 or Version 2. Exports default to Version 1 exports. Currently, only Schedules are available in Version 2 Export format. Version 2 exports provide Name instead of ID for exported objects and are designed to be used for Version 2 Imports, which also use name instead of ID. See Schedule Import using Version 2 for more information.
Exports and delegated administration
If delegated administration is enabled for your institution, exports will only contain the objects to which the admin has been given rights. Meaning that if the object exported exists in the Org/Dept/Section hierarchy, the items provided in the export will only be those to which the admin who initiated the export has access.
Institution level admins will get all objects requested for the export.
For Schedule exports, if delegated admin is enabled, the schedules contained in the export are determined by which captures the admin has access rights to. For example, if the delegated administration toggles are set to allow admins to see all unpublished captures (in addition to seeing captures published to sections in their hierarchy), the Schedule export will list all capture schedules that publish to sections in their hierarchy as well as any schedules that do not publish to any sections.
To generate an export CSV file
- Log in as an Administrator and click IMPORTS/EXPORTS, located to the right of Users.
- On the Imports/Exports page, click Exports, located on the right side of the page.
- On the Exports tab, use the Select an Export drop-down list to select the item-type export you want to generate.
- If necessary, select a Version. Exports default to Version 1. Only Schedule exports are currently available in Version 2.
- Click Start Export Job.
- The list should automatically refresh to show the newest export on the top, including the type, status, and date/time started.
- When the export is finished, the status changes to show Success/Download in the Status column.
Use the refresh icon located on the right side of the list headings to update the list if needed.
- Click Download for the export you want to download the file for. The .csv file is automatically downloaded to either the download folder or to the location specified in your browser settings.
Once downloaded, open the export file in Excel or another program that will allow you to sort the data by field/column. For Version 1 exports, the exported file likely contains more fields than you need for the corresponding import. For Version 2 Exports, the export file structure is identical to the required import file structure (same fields and order) for ease of use. The difference between V1 and V2 is that V2 imports/exports use Name instead of ID to identify items in the system.
Use the column sort in the spreadsheet program to identify those rows whose data you need to change via Import. Copy those rows to a new file, or edit the values in the rows that need to change, then import the edited file.
One Sheet Per Excel File: You may be tempted to simply copy the rows you want to change into a new tabbed sheet in the same Excel (or another program) file. This is fine as a temporary measure but will require you to save the resulting two-tab file as a .xls/xlsx (or related program) file instead of .csv. In order to generate an importable CSV file, the file you generate via the spreadsheet program must have only one sheet/tab. Otherwise, you cannot save it as a .csv type file.