Adding users involves providing a name and email address for a user, and then (optionally) assigning one or more roles to them. The user is then sent an invitation to the email address provided.
There are two ways to add users: individually as described in this article, or in bulk using a Create User CSV Import.
If you are creating a user account for an instructor, teaching assistant, or student, you are also given the option to associate that user with one or more existing sections. You may need to SCROLL DOWN on the Add User modal to see the enrollment options after selecting the instructor/TA/student role.
If you are adding an Administrator AND your institution has Delegated Administration enabled, after adding the user you must assign the user access rights to one or more departments or organizations in the hierarchy, or to the Institution-level for full access, in order for them to manage hierarchical objects in the system. With delegation turned on, new admin users have no access until explicitly assigned. See Using Delegated Administration for additional information. These steps are separate from adding the user.
If you are adding a Scheduler role user, after adding the user (or adding the scheduler role to an existing user), you must assign that user explicit access to one or more departments and/or organizations in the system. Giving them explicit Org/Dept access allows the user to manage the courses, sections, and schedules for those orgs/dept. Scheduler role delegation of access is separate from administrative delegation. These steps are separate from adding the user.
To add users individually
- Select USERS from the main menu.
- At the upper-right of the page, click ADD USER.
- Enter First Name, Last Name, and Email address for the user (required). The email address MUST be unique.
- If necessary, enter the unique user id to be used by the Single Sign-on authentication system (if the SSO does not use email to uniquely identify each user).
Use the role sliders to assign one or more roles to the user.
If the user is an instructor, teaching assistant, or student, the box expands to allow you to enroll the user in one or more existing sections. You may need to SCROLL DOWN to see the enrollment options section of the box.
- Click ADD SECTION.
- Use the drop-down lists to identify the term, course, section, and role the user has for the section.
- Click ADD SECTION again to identify another section to enroll the user into.
- When finished, click NEXT.
- Review the user information on the screen. If correct, click INVITE.
The user will receive an email invitation to Echo360 (if email notifications are enabled). The message will include a link that will allow them to complete system registration including adding or editing their user profile information.