Some institutions want to configure automated publishing of content to classes, but do not want that content to be available until the closed captioning for the media is completed. The Delay video availability toggle allows administrators to delay the availability of video media to students until it contains closed captions.
Administrators can set the default at the institution, organization, or department level.
Instructors can also set this at the Section level (unless overrides are disallowed) but may not understand that if there is no captioning provider configured, those videos will never be available to students. In addition, uploaded videos are NOT automatically captioned, and the instructor must request that the admin send the video for captioning. Alternately, manual captions can be applied by uploading a .vtt or .srt file.
To delay video availability until closed captions are present
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- Using the list in the left panel, navigate to the organization or department you want to set the default for or remain at the Institution level.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Section Features, then scroll down to Student Content Access.
- Enable Delay video availability toggle (it is disabled by default, allowing all captures to be immediately published).
- Click Yes on the confirmation message that appears.
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
Auto-publishing of content is now delayed until the closed captions are attached to the media. In addition, while administrators or instructors can select to manually publish video content to a class, the video is unavailable to students until it has closed captioning.
IMPORTANT: Manually uploaded videos are NOT automatically sent for captioning; an administrator will need to manually submit those items for captioning before they will be made available to students in the classroom. To manually submit a video for captions, click the item from the Admin's CAPTURES page, then click Add next to Captions on the right side of the capture details page.