If your institution formerly used a closed captioning provider but no longer wants to use one, you can disable closed captioning (through a provider) for the institution. Disabling this option for the institution also removes the Closed Captioning tab from the Configurations page, so that administrators are not able to inadvertently configure the closed captioning tab or change any existing configurations.
The benefit of using the toggle to disabling an existing closed captioning configuration is that the configuration remains, but is simply hidden. This allows you to re-enable it later without having to re-configure the settings (provided they have not changed).
This setting merely disables any configured closed captioning through a third party provider. Institutions can still manually upload caption files to captures or videos.
To disable closed captioning for the institution
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Under Features, disable the Closed Captioning switch (it is enabled by default).
- Click OK on the confirmation message that appears.
- IF APPROPRIATE, be sure to DISABLE the Delay Video Availability toggle, so that captures are not awaiting automatic captioning before they are made available to students.
NOTE: You can still use manually uploaded captions, and require captions and videos to have these before they are available to students.
After confirming that you want to disable closed captions, you can navigate to Settings > Configurations and verify that the Closed Captioning tab is no longer available.