Sections are usually identified by a name, or a number, or both. It doesn't matter what is used as long as it is unique within the Course. By default, section identifiers are only editable by Administrators.
For simplified one-click course provisioning, some LMSes send the course name to Echo360, along with a Section name if one exists. Otherwise, Echo360 gives the section a simple numeric identifier (001, 002, etc). In this case, it is possible that this auto-generated section identifier is not appropriate for the new section. Because the instructor is in charge of managing all aspects of their sections generated this way, Echo360 added an option for allowing Instructors to edit the Section name/number if necessary.
You do NOT have to be using the one-click course provisioning to enable editing the section name. It was simply added to allow changes to these auto-generated sections by the Instructors who manage them.
When Section identifier editing is turned on, Instructors can change the Section name/number on the Section > Settings > Details page.
Section identifier editing is disabled by default, but can be enabled at the institution, organization, and/or department level. You can also set whether or not to Allow Overrides of the setting at a lower level if appropriate.
To enable the ability for instructors to edit section identifiers
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- Using the list in the left panel, navigate to the organization or department you want to set the default for, OR remain at the Institution level.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Section Features.
- Under the Instructor and Teaching Assistant Permissions section at the top of the page, enable the Edit section names toggle (it is disabled by default).
- Click OK on the confirmation message that appears.
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
Instructors who navigate to the Settings page > Details tab for their section will now see that the Section text box is editable. They can click in the box and change or append the identifier there as needed.