Some institutions want to control what kinds of users are able to create groups in the system. Administrators can always create and manage groups. The Groups toggles allow administrators to grant the ability to create groups to other user-roles in the system. Users who create groups are automatically the Group Owners and have full administrative rights over the group content and membership.
Group ownership can be given to users separately, without the ability to create a group. And users can participate in groups (or be made an owner) in which they are a member, even if they cannot create groups based on their role and these toggle settings.
To enable/disable Group creation capabilities
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Scroll down to the Groups section of the page. There are three toggles in this section, one for each role, as shown in the below figure.
Enable/disable each role's toggle as desired.
- If enabled, users logged in as that role can create groups. Users who create groups automatically become the group owner and have full content and membership management rights for their groups.
- If disabled, users logged in as that role cannot create groups but can participate in groups in which they are a member.
- If all three are disabled, only Administrators can create groups. Admins can then assign group ownership to other users, which confers all group management privileges to any group owner.
- As appropriate, review and click Yes on the confirmation message that appears.
IMPORTANT: As stated above, when this feature is disabled for a given user role, those users can still participate in groups, but they cannot create the groups themselves. Even if given ownership rights to a group, the user can manage the group, its membership, and its content, but cannot create any new groups if this feature is not enabled for their role.