Some institutions want to control what kinds of users are able to create collections in the system. Administrators can always create and manage collections. The Collections toggles allow administrators to grant the ability to create collections to other user-roles in the system. Users who create collections are automatically the Collection Owners and have full administrative rights over the collection content and membership.
Collection ownership can be given to users separately, without the ability to create a collection. And users can participate in collections (or be made an owner) in which they are a member, even if they cannot create collections based on their role and these toggle settings.
To enable/disable Collection creation capabilities
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Scroll down to the Collections section of the page. There are three toggles in this section, one for each role, as shown in the below figure.
- Enable/disable each role's toggle as desired.
- If enabled, users logged in as that role can create collections. Users who create collections automatically become the collection owner and have full content and membership management rights for their collections.
- If disabled, users logged in as that role cannot create collections but can participate in collections in which they are a member.
- If all three are disabled, only Administrators can create collections. Admins can then assign collection ownership (or other privileges) to the collection members. Ownership confers all collection management privileges to any collection owner.
- As appropriate, review and click Yes on the confirmation message that appears.
IMPORTANT: As stated above, when this feature is disabled for a given user role, those users can still participate in collections, but they cannot create the collections themselves. Even if given ownership rights to a collection, the user can manage the collection, its membership, and its content, but cannot create any new collections if this feature is not enabled for their role.