Echo360 provides the ability for captures and uploaded videos to be transcribed by Amazon's automatic speech recognition or ASR service. Once transcribed, the video can be viewed with the transcription panel open, allowing users to both read and hear the text of the speech in the video.
Administrators can set the default at the institution, organization, or department level. Instructors can also set this at the Section level (if overrides are allowed). You do NOT have to turn ASR on at the Institution level in order to have transcriptions generated for lower levels. As long as the Allow override checkbox is enabled, ASR can be turned on or off at lower levels as appropriate. This functionality is in line with other institution toggles that allow independent configuration at the organization, department, and/or section levels.
Once enabled, captures or videos are sent for transcription at the time they are published. Meaning the capture can be created or video can be uploaded, but it will not have transcriptions generated or added until the item is published to a section. See the ASR overview article for more details about transcriptions and how/when they are applied and viewable.
IMPORTANT: If your institution plans to implement a manual transcriptioning process, do not enable the ASR Toggle. Echo360 provides the ability to manually upload transcription files (in WebVTT format) for video media. The ASR Toggle ONLY determines whether videos and captures are sent to Amazon for automatic, machine-generated transcriptions. See Automatic Transcriptioning Service or ASR for additional details on how ASR works.
It is also important to note that currently, embedded videos (such as in an LMS/VLE) and videos posted using public URL links will not show transcriptions even if the media has them. You can use the transcript as a closed captioning file if having text with the posted videos is necessary. See Managing Transcriptions and/or Managing Closed Captions for more information on downloading, editing, and uploading transcription files as closed caption files.
To enable the ASR transcription service for the institution
- Log into Echo360 as an Institution-level administrator.
- Click the Settings icon and select Institution Settings.
- If you are an Institution-level Administrator, select the Institution at the top of the list on the left, then select Features from the options in the right panel, as shown in the below figure.
- If you are a Delegated Administrator and/or you want to set ASR for an Organization or Department, select that Org/Dept from the list on the left, then select Section Features from the right panel, as shown in the below figure.
- If necessary, scroll down to the Content Creation and Management section of the page.
- Click the toggle to turn the ASR feature is on or off. It is OFF by default. Review the warning message that appears.
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
NOTE: The ASR toggle does NOT have to be enabled at the institution level unless you want all published videos/captures for the institution to be transcribed. As long as the Allow override checkbox is checked, the toggle can be configured independently at the lower levels as needed.
Once enabled, captures or uploaded videos published from this point forward will be sent for transcriptions. After completion, the transcriptions are automatically returned and applied to the video, and are visible in the classroom. See Automatic Transcriptioning Service or ASR for additional details surrounding transcriptioning.