In an attempt to streamline the documentation surrounding the capture schedule interface, the procedural information and the technical details have been separated. If you are not already aware of them, PLEASE review Details Around Scheduling Captures before executing the procedures below.
Managing capture schedules involves opening the capture schedule dialog box and editing the configuration information contained there. Scheduled captures can be recurring, non-recurring, associated with sections, or not.
Scheduler role users can ONLY see capture schedules that are associated with sections. These can be recurring (such as a class schedule) or non-recurring (a special event).
Opening the capture schedule dialog box
There are a number of different ways to access an existing capture schedule in order to edit it.
For Administrators, the easiest way to access a capture schedule is probably through the Captures page. All captures that have not yet occurred appear in the Scheduled list of the Captures page, identified in the below figure. This applies to both recurring and non-recurring captures.
Use the search box and/or the filters on the left side of the page to FIND the scheduled capture you are looking for. Then click on the row. For recurring captures, you can click on ANY upcoming instance to open and edit the capture schedule.
The capture dialog box for this capture opens for editing.
A small curved arrow to the left of the Publishing Info/Title indicates a recurring capture. Meaning when you edit the capture schedule, you will be editing ALL FUTURE instances of this capture. If there is a Course/Section shown, this capture schedule is auto-published to one or more sections. The above figure shows scheduled recurring captures configured for a variety of sections.
Alternately, both Administrators and Schedulers can access auto-published capture schedules through the Courses page. This is the ONLY method available to Schedulers.
Open the Courses page and find the course and section whose capture schedule you want to edit. Then click on the Schedule icon for the section as shown in the below figure.
To open the capture schedule for a section
- In the Section Schedules page, find the schedule for this section that you want to edit. There may only be one, or there may be more than one.
- Click the arrow to the left of the schedule to expand it.
- Click ON the timed entry that corresponds to the selected schedule.
- In the popup that appears, click the edit icon (it looks like a pencil).
The locations for these steps are indicated in the below figure.
Both methods open the same Capture Schedule dialog box and allow you to make changes.
Why different colors? If the section has multiple schedules, they are differentiated by color for ease of viewing; the colors have no meaning and are applied randomly.
Editing a Capture Schedule
Once you've accessed the capture schedule, you can change any of the information in it.
Below are a few things you need to know regarding editing capture schedules. We also ask that you PLEASE review the information contained in Details Around Scheduling Captures as those details are important but may not apply specifically to editing a schedule.
- If your capture schedule auto-publishes to one or more sections, certain edits to the schedule will also make those same edits to the CLASSES created in the section to hold the captures. This may include deleting previously generated classes or updating them with a new name, date, time, or duration. Past classes are not affected; only future classes would exhibit this change.
- If an instructor has already published to a future class or edited the class details in any way, that class will be retained. In this case, a new class for the edited capture schedule will be created in addition to the original class. You may want to inform the instructor.
- Recurring capture schedules publishing to a section will observe the Exclusion Dates set for the Term in which the section resides. No captures are generated on those dates. If there are no sections selected, OR the schedule is non-recurring, all dates in the start/end date range are captured.
- If the capture schedule is set for Live streaming, it MUST have at least one section selected for publishing. In addition, the room selected must contain an Echo360 capture appliance, or a Universal Capture installation running.
- The maximum duration of any scheduled capture is enforced by the system and is dependent on the device being used. The limit for legacy SCHDs is 4 hours; all other capture appliances have a limit of 8 hours. HOWEVER, for very long captures, you will want to be aware of the details and limitations outlined in Working with Capture Appliances.
To edit a capture schedule
- Use one of the above-listed methods to open the capture schedule dialog box, shown in the below figure.
- Edit the Title for the capture (required).
The title provided is the name for any captures generated by this schedule AND is the name for any classes auto-created by the system in a section to hold these captures.
- Select/change the Instructor for the capture.
The instructor also becomes the owner of the capture; the completed capture will appear in their Library.
- If appropriate, enter the name of any Guest Instructor you may want to include in the capture information.
- Use the drop-down lists to change the Campus, Building, and Room where the capture will occur.
Selecting a room also selects the device that will be used to generate the capture. if you are CHANGING the room for the capture, you will likely have to also change the Inputs selected.
- Select the Inputs to use for this/these captures. Your options are determined by the device's configuration.
If you changed the Room for the capture, you likely also have to change the Inputs selected.
- Select the output Quality for the captures. Your options include Standard, High, and Highest.
If you have not yet, PLEASE review Details Around Scheduling Captures for information about what each of these settings means, and the best circumstances for each selection.
- Select whether to enable Closed Captioning for this capture. This option is only available if you have closed captioning configured for the system.
- Select whether these captures will be available via Live Stream. This simply means that students can watch the class in real-time from a remote location.
- Edit the Start Date for the capture. You must use a date/time that is not in the past.
- For non-recurring captures, this is the date on which the capture will occur.
- For recurring captures, this is the first date on which the capture will occur.
- Edit the Time Range for the capture.
- Select whether the capture repeats or not. Your options are:
- None (one-time event)
- Weekly (creates a recurring event on one or more days a week).
- If you select Recurring, the box expands to show additional required options:
- Identify the weekly frequency of the capture; enter 1 for every week, enter 2 for every other week, etc.
- Identify an End date for the capture (the last date on which the capture will occur).
To immediately truncate a capture schedule and delete remaining capture occurrences, enter an end-date of today or earlier. See Deleting Capture Schedules for more information.
- Use the sliders to identify on which days each week the capture is to occur.
- Use the Course, Term, and Section drop-down lists to identify or change the location to which the completed captures are to be published. Selecting a publishing location is optional.
- Use the Availability settings for the selected Section to set whether or not to delay the availability for a set number of days. You can also make the completed capture Unavailable after a set number of days.
Availability is for student viewing; instructors can always see published captures. By default, all published captures are available "Immediately" and "Never" unavailable.
- To publish to more than one section, click ADD SECTION and repeat the process. You can publish to as many as ten different sections.
- If you added an additional section, set the availability for completed captures for subsequent sections as needed.
- To remove a section, click the X located to the right of the section.
- When finished, review ALL of the information in the dialog box. If correct, click SAVE.
If you are an administrator, you should be able to see your changes in the Captures page, by clicking Scheduled as shown at the top of this page. Changes to the name, duration, publishing information, dates of capture should all be reflected in the entries there for the capture schedule you edited.
If you are a Scheduler, your changes should appear in the Section Schedules page, on the colored banner of the capture schedule, including date changes, name changes, start/end times, etc.