The workflow for getting managed capture devices ready to capture follows:
- Configure room/device settings.
- Download the configuration file to a thumb drive.
- Install the Pro, Pod, Universal Capture software, or SCHD in the room where the classes and captures will occur.
- Note the MAC address of the capture appliance.
- Apply the downloaded device configuration file to the device as appropriate.
- In Echo360, assign the device to the room where it is installed.
- Log on and monitor the device to be sure the proper input feeds are working properly.
Wiring for Stereo vs. Mono Audio Input: Prior to supporting 1080p captures, Echo360 would process all audio for Mono output. As a function of adding support for 1080p video capture, Echo360 now also captures and processes audio for Stereo output. You may wish to check and re-configure your audio wiring setup, particularly if you have experienced audio problems. Reported problems include no audio due to phase cancellation or audio-only in one channel.
See Configuring Bare Wire Audio Input for Capture Appliances.
Setting up Hardware devices
Configuring hardware devices (Pro, Pod, or legacy SCHD) involves placing the device into the classroom and making the proper video, audio, network, and other connections. Then you must load the device configuration file (the device.xml that you download using the procedure below) to the device. This allows Echo360 to recognize and initialize the device for use.
TIP: If multiple capture appliances (of the same type) use the same device configurations (audio, video, display, login, etc.), you can use the instructions below to configure and download the
device.xml file once and use it for all devices that share that configuration.
To set up a hardware device
- Insert a USB thumb drive into the computer you are using; this will be where you save the device configuration file (
NOTE: We recommend you use an Echo USB thumb drive if one came packaged with the appliance. Otherwise, be sure you are using a FAT-formatted thumb drive.
- Log into Echo360 as an administrator.
- Select the Settings icon in the upper-right of the screen (it looks like a gear).
- From the Settings menu, select Configurations.
- From the left panel, select Device default configurations.
- From the banner across the top, select the type of appliance you are configuring (SCHD, Pro or Pod).
- Configure or make changes to the recording device inputs and other settings. See SCHD Input and Device Settings or Echo360 Pro Capture and Device Settings or Echo360 Pod Device and Capture Settings as appropriate for details.
These can be changed later for individual devices, using the Configure option on the ROOMS page tile for a device.
- Click SAVE.
- Click Common Settings from the top of the page, to configure the device logins, outbound proxy, or other settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Common Settings page and click SAVE.
- Click DOWNLOAD.
- Save or move the downloaded
device.xmlfile to the ROOT location on the thumb drive (NOT in a sub-folder).
DO NOT change the name of the file.
- Go to the capture appliance. If necessary, turn it on and make sure it has fully initialized (wait about five minutes).
- Insert the thumb drive containing the
device.xmlfile into the USB port of the appliance. Allow the device to upload and process the configuration file before removing the thumb drive.
IMPORTANT: Note the MAC address of the appliance; you will need this to add the device to a room.
- Repeat the last two steps for each device that will be using the downloaded configuration settings.
Once the appliance uploads and processes the file, the following things happen:
- The appliance establishes communications with Echo360. Once that process is complete, the device can be assigned to a room.
- The appliance writes a status file back to the thumb drive containing useful information about the device (such as IP address), which can be used for troubleshooting if necessary.
Setting up Software devices
- From the classroom computer where you will be installing Universal Capture: Classroom, navigate to and log into Echo360 (as an administrator).
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right of the page (it looks like a gear).
- Select Downloads from the list.
- Select the Download link for Universal Capture.
- Launch the downloaded executable and proceed through the installation wizard.
IMPORTANT: Note the MAC address of the built-in wifi adapter on the computer on which you are installing Universal Capture; you will need this to add the device to a room.
Once installation completes, the software installation establishes communications with the Echo360 instance from which the installation executable was downloaded. This allows the installation to be assigned to a room as a capture device.