While users can edit their own personal information in the system, you as the administrator may be responsible for editing other aspects of the user, including adding/removing a role assignment or adding/removing section enrollments for a user.
Editing of users begins by opening the USERS page and finding the user(s) you want to edit. You can make changes to individual users using the chevron menu shown below, or select a group of users and make bulk changes for a group of users.
The options available for individual users include:
- Edit Profile - allows you to edit the first name, last name, email address, phone number, SSO ID, or role-assignments for the user. The fields available are the same as those given when adding a user.
- Enrollments - allows you to see all of the sections in which the user is enrolled, add or remove section enrollments, and change the role this user has in assigned sections.
- Manage Zoom - allows you to see the Zoom meeting mapping to Echo360 sections done by the user, in order to address or troubleshoot any issues. This option ONLY appears if you have a Zoom integration configured for your institution.
- Make Inactive - deactivates this user account without deleting the account (retaining the user's information in the system, including analytics). Deactivated users CANNOT access Echo360 either directly or through an LMS/VLE or SSO system.
Do not deactivate system-generated anonymous users. Public access links to sections require the creation of anonymous users in the system, allowing non-registered users to "pose" as these users to view sections. Deactivating these users will eliminate public access to sections that should be available to non-registered users. If you see a user whose name or email address is "email@example.com", or begins with "Anon-", that user is likely one of the anonymous users set up for public section link access.
- Reset LMS Accounts - removes all LMS IDs with this user account and resets the user account as "fresh" from the LMS. Often this is useful if you have an LMS user with cross-linked accounts.
- Delete Users - users can be permanently deleted from the system. This cannot be undone! It may be better to first deactivate the user, which removes all access to the system, for some period of time prior to deleting them.
FYI: Invited and Inactive users have different options than shown above. Invited users allow you to resend the invitation, delete the user, and adjust their enrollments. Inactive users allow you to make the user active, delete the user, or reset their LMS account.
Editing Multiple Users
Bulk-change Role or Active/Inactive Status. There are a few functions you can perform on a group of users at once, including re-sending invites, bulk-role changes, or bulk-deactivation.
The best method for using the bulk-change capability is to filter the user list by status or role, using the Search field to further limit the list. Then select the checkboxes for the users you want to edit. For example, filter the list for only Invited users, check the boxes for those users, and resend the registration invitation. Or search the list for "Instructor, Student" and assign those users Teaching Assistant (revoking Instructor or Student) where appropriate.
NOTE: When you revoke a role for a user, that user is automatically removed from all sections where the user was enrolled with that role. If you are replacing one role with another (such as Instructor with Teaching Assistant) you will need to re-enroll that user into the appropriate sections as the new role. If a role slider is OFF, that role is REMOVED from all of the selected users, if they currently have it.
To bulk edit multiple users
- From the main menu, click USERS.
- Use the Search text box or the Filter drop-down lists to find the user(s) you need to edit. You can also sort the list by clicking a column header.
- Click a check into the checkboxes of the users you want to edit. If your filter returned ONLY the users you want to edit, use the checkbox at the top of the list to check all users.
Notice that the top of the Users list changes, to show the bulk-editing options for the users you selected.
- If all of the selected users are in the Active state, the Active slider is available to make the selected users Inactive. (The opposite is also true; if all selected users are Inactive, the slider can be used to make them Active.)
- If all the selected users are in the Invited state, the Resend invite button is available, to resend a system registration email to those users.
- To re-assign roles to ALL SELECTED USERS, enable or disable the role sliders, then click CHANGE ROLE.
- Review the confirmation dialog box closely, to be sure you want to assign/revoke the roles from ALL of the selected users.
- Click OK to confirm the role change(s).
Users will receive an email notifying them of their role change in the system.
VERY IMPORTANT!! The Role sliders identify which role(s) will be assigned to the selected users AS WELL AS which role(s) will be revoked. If the selected users currently have multiple roles, and you have enabled only one of the sliders, those users will have ONLY the selected role assigned. This also means that their enrollment in any courses as the other role-type is automatically revoked. This is stated in the confirmation message you receive.