Some institutions do not want to allow the student/instructor Q&A or student discussion capability for classes. The Q&A capability is enabled for all institutions by default but can be disabled by an Administrator at the institution, organization, or department level.
Instructors can also enable or disable Q&A at the section level unless overrides are disallowed at a higher level.
To disable Questions (Q&A) across the institution
- Log in as an administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From the Settings menu, select Institution Settings.
The Institution appears at the top of the list and is selected by default.
- Navigate to the organization or department you want to set the default for or remain on the Institution in the left panel.
- On the right side of the Institution Settings page, click Features.
- Under Features, disable the Q&A toggle switch (it is enabled by default).
- Check or uncheck the Allow override checkbox to determine whether this toggle setting can be changed at any of the lower levels.
- Click Yes on the confirmation message that appears.
Q&A functionality is now disabled by default. Users will not see the Questions button in the classroom toolbar or the Q&A tab for any section.
NOTE: If students had entered questions (and bookmarked them) prior to the feature being disabled, those questions will still appear in the students' Study Guide. But no further questions or responses can be entered.